Thursday, September 6, 2007

Am I just now listening?

Lately, I have felt like God has just started teaching me. Seriously I was riding down the road today and thinking gosh, its like I am just being taught by our Lord. Then it was like a brick wall. He has been teaching me. I was tuned out. I felt like my life had been wasted so far. Had I not thought about anything? He has shown me grace, strength, encouragement, etc. Basically I absorbed all that He has given my and hidden it in my heart. I realized today that I am not the best friend and I am not always the best wife, daughter, sister. As I was thinking about all this and beginning to beat myself up I realized that my life is an art project. I am merly the clay. I am the canvas.

Adam and I listen to podcast sometimes and a pastor that we have listened to was preaching on transformation from sin to purity. This was me. I am saved, I have been redeemed but did I live my life as if I believed in the truth. Of course I don't do terrible things but what do I do? I "work" for Jesus in the church. I teach Sunday school with Adam. "You cannot expect a non-Christian to act like a Christian," Adam tells me this all the time. What strikes me now is then should I expect a Christian to act like a non-Christian? Its the same accountability, which I know is a touchy subject. For instance today I work at a Christian university and sometimes I find that its easier to work in a secular enviroment. At least then people tell you to your face you are crazy or spoiled or rude. I am realizing more and more that Christians tend to blend. Or worse we don't do anything about the injustices that we see right before us. All this being said I want to be accountable. I want to live everyday they way Christ wants me to live, no matter the cost. I never want to tune Him out again.

"Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable-and if there is any moral excellence and it there is any praise-dwell on these things." Phillipians 4:8

"Consider it a great joy, my brothers whenever you experience various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endureance. But endurance must do its complete work so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing." James 1:2-4

2 comments:

The Elliotts said...

Em, That is profound and simple all at the same time. I have been thinking about this a lot lately too. Do I act like a Christian all the time? I am snotty and whiny and bossy and lose my temper. I need to act more like Christ. Thank you for sharing your encouragement to encourage me.
I love you!

JandK Walters said...

sister girl i am blessed my reading this today. i think you are def. on the right path to the all call christian wake up i think first we have got to get real and honest. i know so many times i just dont let my questions or fears out and i know also that HE is big enough and we are in the process of getting pruned. I love these verses, the first is painted on the wall in my girls room, but I will say I am with you it is just now becoming more real to me what this means. i love your hear, thanks for sharing

also i am a crazy fall/christmas decorator also..not so much the rest of the year..but i make up for it at christmas!